Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Do you Kettlebell??


Kettlebells? Have you heard of them? I love them! They are my favorite way to get Cardio and weight training done at the same time. In only 25 minutes I burn somewhere between 300-450 calories. Woo-hoo!! Exercise multi-tasking at its best. So what are these magnificent bells that I speak of?

Kettlebells are bowling ball-sized cast iron weights with a single looped handle on top, that range in weight. Kettlebells are a functional strength workout that engages the entire body, specifically the core. The exercises challenge both strength and stability at the same time. Because the kettlebell's center of mass is extended beyond the hand, it allows for swinging movements that are impossible to achieve with traditional dumbbells.

Kettlebell workouts focus on form and stability, which is probably why so many of my Pilates and Yoga friends are drawn to them. Like any form of exercise I recommend taking a few sessions with a professionally certified Kettlebell trainer to learn the basic exercises and watch your form. I bought a 12 pound Kettlebell, which came with a great 25 minute dvd at Target for under $20. Love the dvd and am planning on purchasing another one from the same company. I also am ready to purchase a heavier one and incorporate two Kettlebell movements into my sessions.

Have you tried Kettlebells? What are your thoughts about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment