Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Unplugged and Rejuvenated

This weekend I treated myself to a four day mini-break. All summer I had been scheduling around my clients vacations, schedules, and their children's obligations and realized that I neglected myself. So I decided to take a 4 day camping trip on my own with my 4 year old Golden Logan.

I was a little nervous camping by myself, but I am an independent, self sufficient woman and figured that if I can make it in a city on my own, I definitely can make it in the woods on my own. I had such a great sense of accomplishment as I arrived at my campsite and pitched my tent all by myself. Arranged my housing for the next couple of days setting up my chair, sleeping bed, cooking area, firewood, and sleeping bag. Then sat down to take it all in. I am so used to being in a scheduling crunch and then zoning out using technology like the computer or television. Here I could just sit in silence (or the sounds of nature) and do nothing. It was absolutely amazing!!

The first night as I sat by my campfire with Logan, I almost completely forgot to look upwards. Being in the city, I never see a sky full of stars, so I have gotten quite used to not even looking. As I laid down on the blanket and caught a glimpse of the sky I was surprised to see the black sky so full of bright, twinkling stars. It was gorgeous.  That day being exactly one month since losing my beloved 13 1/2 year old Golden Madison, as I looked up I wondered if her soul was up there in the stars looking down and shining her love down on Logan and I. I laid there for many hours just gazing upwards and taking in the serenity of the sounds, smells, and sights of nature. I was in a state of serenity that I so often lose in the hectic city life. I was completely unplugged and able to sit still in peace.  A natural, unforced meditative state that I can only describe as bliss.  Solitude.


Each morning I would awake to make breakfast for Logan and I. Then I would sit under the rising sun and read. Around 11am I would prepare myself for a 3-5 hour hike for the day. Arrive back at my campsite around 4pm and relax at the site until sunset when I eagerly lit my campfire, prepared dinner, and sat under my lovely sky of light and love. It was exactly what I needed. My four day trip reset me to come back to the city and be invigorated to get back to life. I am already looking ahead on my schedule to make a fall trip before it gets too cold, as I thoroughly enjoyed myself and know that it was exactly what I needed. We all need to unplug ourselves from society every now and then and rejuvenate our souls with nature and solitude.  It's a mental and spiritual cleanse for the body, mind, and soul.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I'm sure Maddie was there with you too.

    ReplyDelete