Monday, September 6, 2010

Small Changes



Resolutions can be a great way to set a goal for yourself, however more times than not we fail our resolutions. The Dictionary defines a resolution as the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.  Why not take baby steps towards a bigger goal with small changes?  For me I am not good with change. I find drastic changes uncomfortable and I end up failing because I am unable to sit with the abrupt uncomfortableness. However, I notice that if I ease myself into the change my rate of success is much higher. 


Last year I made a New Year's resolution to eat more of a Vegan lifestyle.  At first I cleared out all my cupboards and refrigerator of any non-Vegan items and replaced them.  I was going to go completely Vegan from being mostly Vegetarian (I did eat fish on occasion).  My intentions were good, however it was too big of a change for me to make all at once. I now follow a Vegan diet 3-5 days/week.  I allow myself to indulge when I am outside of my home at a friends house or restaurant, as I find it  too hard to explain and substitute. I am already a picky eater to begin with and I don't want to insult a friend or server. By making the change smaller it made me feel more comfortable and allowed me to actually fulfill my resolution.


Same is true with the "Losing weight" resolution so many people make each year.  Everyone starts off rearing to go in January and by February is already off the wagon.  Make small movements towards your goal and you may find that you have more stamina to go all the way. For example, if you lead a predominately sedentary life and decide that you are going to go to the gym everyday, the odds are you are going to fail.  Why not start small? Schedule yourself in for 3 workouts for the week. Try to vary what you are doing and find something that you enjoy doing.  Make it fun, something you look forward to, a workout date with a friend, and most importantly put it on your calendar like you would any other important appointment.

It's okay to know what your "end goal" is but be sure to honor and appreciate the small steps that you have accomplished along the way. You'll be more apt to stay on target and achieve your ultimate resolution. Even a small change (no matter how small) deserves recognition.  You may even be surprised when you reach your resolution how much easier it was to get there. Small change adds up to BIG results.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!
    "I allow myself to indulge when I am outside of my home at a friends house or restaurant, as I find it too hard to explain and substitute. "

    Me too! Especially w/ dairy. I go almost entirely dairy free at home so that when I am out, I don't worry & don't stress out my hosts.

    I've also started goal setting both long & short term. My long term goals are less overwhelming when broken down into smaller, more manageable goals.
    Gini

    ReplyDelete