Monday, October 25, 2010

No Shoes....BETTER Service

The other day I spontaneously decided to take off my shoes on the Elliptical. I had my running shoes on and was feeling uncomfortable through the arches of my feet and my left knee. I decided to pause the elliptical and continue in my socks. I immediately felt better through my feet. There was a little bit of friction with my socks and the machine, but it still felt better than what I was experiencing with my running shoes on. Taking my shoes off gave me more efficient movement.

Later that evening and the next morning, I was amazed at how sore my inner thighs were and I associated this to taking off my shoes. I feel that my running shoes were artificially pulling my feet into alignment. They weren't actually allowing my feet and muscles to do the job. I had been toying with the idea of going barefoot for awhile. After all in Pilates and Yoga I feel more connected to the earth and my alignment with my bare feet. Why not transfer that over to my Cardio philosophy as well? I personally don't own an Elliptical or Treadmill and the idea of going barefoot in a public gym seemed gross to me. Also living in an Urban area, outside running in bare feet seemed dangerous with rock, glass, and other foreign objects waiting to pierce the soles of my feet. So I ventured out to try on and buy a pair of Vibram Five Fingers or Barefoot shoes. I tried on three different styles of the Vibrams and ended up settling on the Bikila style as they fit my foot the best. This is definitely a shoe that you decide on based on function and fit, versus style or color. No matter what color these shoes are they are going to draw attention to your footsies. They are definitely not stylish or flattering to any foot on the outside. However, knowing the positive changes that are going to happen internally I will put my fashion and vanity aside.

Stay tuned as I take this barefoot journey to more efficient and healthy movement one step at a time.



Journal of Barefoot Running

  • Day 1: Barefoot on the Elliptical in just socks for 2 miles. Arches of feet and knees felt great. Inner thighs active and sore in a way I had never experienced. 
  • Day 2: New Vibram Five Fingers (Bikila) 2.5miles on Treadmill and 3.5 miles on Elliptical. Felt really good. A little blistering forming on tops of baby toes, probably just trying to break in new shoes. Notice a lot of noise on my heel strike on the Treadmill. Will research and adjust.
  • Day 3: Gonna try to soften my strike a bit by hitting the ball of my foot more and rolling through toes on the push back. 3.5 miles on the treadmill and 3.5 miles on the Elliptical. Softer run. Calves and feet really sore. Definitely used those muscles differently. Tips of toes and toenails sore. Low back and knees feel great though!


    1 comment:

    1. I am so excited for you! I just finished 2 miles barefoot on the treadmill and my feet felt 5 sizes bigger when I finished. I liked it! :-)

      ReplyDelete